If you’ve just bought a new mattress, you’re no doubt excited about the prospect of a comfortable sleep. However, like many major life investments, mattresses have a lifespan. That’s why proper care and maintenance is crucial to ensuring that you make the most of your new purchase. In this guide, we’ll share some essential mattress care tips and highlight why using accessories like mattress protectors are useful for ensuring longevity.
The Average Lifespan of Mattresses
On average, mattresses will last between 7 to 10 years. However, this lifespan can vary widely depending on how the mattress was made, its general quality and if it was well-maintained. By understanding the age of your mattress, you’ll be able to plan for its eventual replacement.
Tips For Mattress Care
Caring for your mattress is a relatively simple process, but giving some extra thought to proper maintenance can also help in extending its lifespan. Here are some useful tips to maximise the value of your investment:
- Consistent Cleaning: Vacuuming your mattress regularly to remove dust and debris will keep it fresh. Washing your sheets and bedding is not only hygienic, but also prevents contaminants such as body oils and other dirt from seeping into and staining your mattress. If it is stained, we recommend only using warm water and a mild detergent or soap to clean the spot.
- Rotating Your Mattress: Rotating your mattress can also contribute to an extended lifespan. This is because mattresses naturally begin to sag or develop permanent dents in the areas where you sleep. To maintain a consistent surface, it’s recommended to rotate your foam mattress 180 degrees every 3-6 months.
- Provide Proper Support: Ensure your mattress has proper support from a sturdy bed frame and a supportive foundation. This helps distribute your body weight evenly, reducing strain on the mattress and promoting longevity.
Why You Should Use A Mattress Protector
While regular maintenance is important to a long-lasting mattress, one of the best ways to care for your investment is by pairing it with a high-quality mattress protector. This is a type of removable bedding that offers several benefits to both your sleep and mattress quality. Here are the top reasons why a mattress protector is a worthwhile addition to your bed setup:
- Spill & Accident Protection: Accidents are bound to happen, whether it’s a due to a spilled drink or making a mess during late-night snacks. Waterproof mattress protectors can help prevent liquids from seeping into your mattress and causing damage.
- Allergy & Hygiene Protection: Mattress protectors such as our 10:PM mattress protectors are often designed to be hypoallergenic, providing a barrier against dust-mites, bacteria, mould, and other potential irritants while keeping the bed feeling fresh.
- Maintain Your Warranty: Many mattress warranties require proper care to remain valid. By investing in a mattress protector, you can not only extend the life of your mattress but also ensure that your warranty requirements are upheld.
Protect Your Sleep For Years To Come
A quality mattress can be revolutionary when it comes to getting a good night’s sleep. However, to maximise the value of your investment, a combination of regular maintenance, protective measures and investing in the right bed accessories is essential. By following these tips and using a mattress protector, you’ll ensure comfort for years to come.