A good night’s sleep starts with finding the right mattress and one of the most important factors that will influence this decision is firmness. Choosing the correct mattress firmness ensures that you wake up feeling rested and rejuvenated, ready for the day ahead. At 10PM, one of our main promises is comfort without compromise. That’s why we’ve put together this guide on the mattress firmness scale to help you make the best decision for your sleep needs.
The Mattress Firmness Scale
The scale for mattress firmness can vary widely depending on the manufacturer. Having a good understanding of this scale is essential in finding the level of comfort and support that suits your preferences and body type. At 10PM, our mattress firmness is measured on a scale ranging from firm to plush.
- Firm (1-4): Firm mattresses are known for their solid support, making them suitable for stomach sleepers who benefit from a more elevated surface. On the 10PM mattress firmness scale, our 10:01 mattresses are classified as medium-firm, meaning that they offer both solid comfort and support while still being an all-rounder.
- Medium (5-6): Medium firmness mattresses cater to a broader range of users and can accommodate various sleeping positions. For instance, the 10:02 mattress has all the features of our 10:01 range, with the addition of gel-infused memory foam that provides extra comfort and contouring for sleepers.
- Plush (7-10): These mattresses provide a plush and sinking feel, ideal for side sleepers who need extra contouring for their hips and shoulders. Our 10:03 mattresses are classified as medium-plush, offering a soft upper memory foam layer that is balanced by sturdy pocket springs which increases support and alignment for your body.
What Affects Mattress Firmness
Several factors contribute to the firmness of a mattress, ranging from the materials used to the method of construction. Here are three key factors that can influence a mattress’s firmness.
- Materials: The type of materials used in a mattress, such as memory foam, latex, or innerspring coils, significantly influences its firmness. Different materials can have distinct levels of support, affecting how firm or soft the mattress will feel.
- Thickness: The comfort layers, usually located at the top of the mattress, contribute greatly to the overall feel. Thicker memory foam layers can often result in a softer feel, enhancing the mattress’ ability to conform to your body.
- Density: For foam mattresses, density also plays a role in firmness. Higher-density foams tend to be firmer, providing extra support to the body and can help reduce the chances of sagging.
Factors To Consider When Deciding On Your Mattress
A person’s sleep experience is inherently personal. That’s why it’s crucial to consider your preferences and health factors when deciding on the best mattress firmness. These can include:
- Sleeping Position: Your preferred sleeping position will determine the level of support needed. Side sleepers generally benefit from a plush mattress, while back and stomach sleepers may prefer a firmer surface.
- Body Weight: Body weight influences the amount of compression the mattress experiences while lying down. The ideal mattress firmness should have a balance of pressure point relief, while still offering enough support. Heavier individuals might find more support on a firmer mattress, while lighter individuals may prefer a softer feel.
- Health Considerations: Conditions like back pain or arthritis may require specific levels of support. Consult with a healthcare professional to determine the best firmness for your specific health needs.
Finding Your Way To Comfort & Support
Finding the right mattress firmness is ultimately a personal journey that involves understanding the scale and considering your own needs based on the factors that influence how the mattress feels. At 10:PM, our mattresses are designed to cater for a wide range of people’s comfort and support needs, ranging from firm to plush levels. Take a look at our mattress comparison chart to help you make the best decision.